In order to fully use this site correctly, I would suggest using the links under the sidebar titled "Navigation." Within those links you will find links to all of my posts and they are organized by a category, then within that, each story or idea, then the order I intend them to be read in. So go check those out so that there is less of a chance for confusion! Thanks!
~Katelyn

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Room

Something that came out to go along with this art project:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I walked toward my destination, a key around my neck. The only other sound besides my echoing footsteps was the stirring of white curtains by a soundless wind in the open windows that I passed, every once in a while seeing a broken one. Each window provided me a glimpse into the dark room, but the never changing light from the nearly setting sun slightly illuminated a figure alone in its center. I turned the corner stopping in an open doorway with curtains billowing at my ankles, a living flame in my hands.
There was broken debris barely visible all over the floor and on many of the surfaces throughout the room. Chairs and small tables lay in ruins and every so often a piece was identifiable as glass or a bit of a mirror, but the rest were so destroyed that they were unrecognizable as to what they once were when they were whole.
A figure stood amongst it all, as I had seen through the windows, barefoot in a white dress.

“What happened?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper, but still resonating throughout the room.

My flame lit her face as she turned her head slowly with a face I knew, but with an expression that I had never seen.

With dried tears streaked on her cheeks she answered, “I let him in.”

A broken, unnameable piece quivered in her hand as she knelt on one of the few clear spaces on the floor, her legs disappearing as her dress fell around her.

“I- I don't know where to start.” her voice shook and broke sounding almost like a plea.

I transfered the flame to one hand, reaching down and choosing a piece that was larger than those around it.

I finally entered the room slowly walking toward her. It didn't take much effort not to step on the millions of shards in my path. I knelt close behind her, careful not to touch, taking the piece gently out of her hand and with my arm reaching out from behind her, laying it on the floor. Then, I took my piece and laid it with hers. It was a perfect fit.

“Let's start here.” I answered, and my flame glowed a little brighter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment