In order to fully use this site correctly, I would suggest using the links under the sidebar titled "Navigation." Within those links you will find links to all of my posts and they are organized by a category, then within that, each story or idea, then the order I intend them to be read in. So go check those out so that there is less of a chance for confusion! Thanks!
~Katelyn

Friday, March 5, 2010

Orphan Beginning

I came up with another version for Michael and Nicole, it was pretty different and even though I had a bit of a plan, I only ever wrote the beginning. So here it is.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was always the same. They would courteously allow them to enter the office first then seek out my eyes giving me a wink. This particular morning Elisha had an even brighter grin on her face as she closed the door.

I couldn't help but glance in the window to see who they dragged in to take me away again. Elisha was talking and I could read her lips from watching her say these words so many times: "very bright", "patient", "obedient", "kind tempered", and "can easily fend for herself". 

I bit my lip. I felt like half of what she said wasn't true, but she always assured me it was.  

"Thank you." a little girl said as she slipped out of my lap.

"You're welcome Mary." I replied watching the small blond pig tails that I just finished brushing bounce away.   

"That man has a bad look in his eyes." 

A young man had approached where I sat glaring at the window.

He was seventeen, older than I was, tall and skinny with sand colored hair that hung around his face. He was truly a very caring person, but he could look threatening when he wanted to.

"Want me to scare him off?" he asked.  

"No Edward. It's okay."  

I would be fine, I always was. I never had a hard time, but I somehow always ended up back here in one way or another.  

I looked at the window again to find two pairs of eyes staring back at me. The man's were an amber color and danced with a wild fire as he examined me.  

They then turned back to Elisha as the word "adopt" crossed her mouth.  

I gazed up at Edward wondering if what I had seen was what bothered him. His hazel eyes bore into mine. 

"Those blue eyes of yours say otherwise." he said knowingly.  

Curse my eyes; they always gave me away no matter how hard I tried to hide what I was really feeling.  

The door to Elisha's office opened slowly and she exited holding a stack of papers in her hand. She was followed by the man who instantly looked to me with an all too dramatic smile on his face. I had stood up to be polite and Edward took my hand and pulled me a bit behind him protectively.  

Elisha's mouth tightened as she gave Edward a dirty look. He ignored her staring the man down.

"Nicole," Elisha said addressing me, "this is Lucas Prior."

"Hello." I said, holding out my hand for him to shake. 

He took it delicately but eagerly. Edward held my other hand tighter. 

I kept my eyes staring over his shoulder. I didn't want him to read them.  

"He's just adopted you hon. isn't that great?!"  

Elisha truly seemed happy about it, so did Lucas, they were the only ones excited by the idea.  

“Why don’t you go pack your things while we finish signing papers?” Elisha said.  

“Alright.” I replied gently pulling my hand from Edward’s and walking towards my room.  

“I’ll help you.” Edward mumbled and followed behind me quickly and closing the bedroom door.  

There was already a suitcase and a few duffle bags on my bed and I began pulling my things off of the dresser.  

“I don’t trust him.” Edward almost yelled. 

“You don’t trust anybody that adopts me.” My voice broke.  

In a second, he was at my side taking hold of my hand that I then noticed was shaking.  

“You’re scared.” He said gently.  

I turned away even though it was too late for my eyes to betray me. 

“I’ll hide you!” Edward began his voice becoming more frantic. “We’ll climb out the window and run for it!” 

“Edward.” My voice was weak as I continued to pack.  

“I’ll slit his tires and take out the battery!”  

“They’d know it was you.” My voice was just barely above a whisper.  

“I won’t let him take you!”  

“Edward, there’s nothing you can do!”  

He froze as if I had slapped him, then his eyebrows furrowed and he grabbed my cell phone out of the duffle bag.

“What’re you doing?” I asked.

After a moment of watching him press various buttons he put the phone back in my hand.

“I set my cell phone on speed dial one, okay?” he said forcefully. “And 9-1-1 is on number two.”  

He was then more gentle.  

“I want you to call me if anything happens. I’ll get there as fast as I can. Even if nothing happens I want you to call me. Don’t let him know you have it.”  

I looked at him worried that he might be taking it a little too far.  

“And then in seven months when I can finally get out of here. I’ll take you from there.” His face was so serious.  

“Edward…” I scolded.  

He faced the wall and I saw his hand go to his chin. He was embarrassed.  

“Nicole!” I quickly grabbed everything I could and stuffed them in the duffle bag, zipping it along with the suitcase and strapped it over my shoulder. I opened the door and strolled out of it with the suitcase in hand, stuffing the cell phone into my jeans pocket while putting on a brave face.  

Suddenly, there was a growth on my leg.  

“Don’t go Nikki, no!”  

Mary was burying her face into my thigh.  

“Oh sweetie, I have to go.” I to sound soothing while gently pulling her off of my leg.  

She grasped tighter with more protests.  

“Please Edward.” I whispered.  

He leaned down and pried her little arms from me.  

“No Eddie! No! No!” she cried.  

“Mary…” I sighed, setting my bags on the floor then taking her from Edward up in my arms.  

“Guess what?” I said kindly, turning her pouting face toward me and wiping a tear from her soft cheek.

“When I call Eddie you can talk to me too, okay.”  

She nodded putting her tiny arms around my neck and hugging me tightly as she began to sob.

“Shh…” I said trying to hush her.

“Why do they keep taking you away?” 

I looked past Mary’s head to see her brother, Johnny. He had a scrutinizing, but sad look on his round face, I could see the water welling up in his eyes.  

After handing Mary to Edward I leaned over so that my eyes were level with Johnny’s.  

“I can’t stay here forever Johnny, you know that.” I quietly said.  

“And why not?!” he said, his voice breaking.  

He lowered his head and rubbed his eye, trying to hide the tears.  

“Hey…” I whispered. “Hey, Jonathan, look at me.”

He looked at me again, his eyes glistening.

“Eddie won’t be here much longer either.” I made my voice kind so as not to distress him further. “So it’ll be up to you to take care of Mary, alright?”  

He nodded, suddenly leaning up and kissing my cheek.  

I stood, stunned and turned on Edward.  

“What have you been teaching him?!”  

Edward shrugged innocently. “The man can’t be denied.”

“Uh huh…” I replied as I rolled my eyes.  

“Yeah! I am almost six you know!” Johnny announced putting his hands on his lips and jutting out his chest.

I couldn’t resist a burst of laughter. 

“Are you ready Nicole?!” Elisha’s voice was becoming shrill. She just couldn’t wait to get rid of me, could she?  

“Coming!” I hollered.  

I was about to pick up my bags again when I was spun around and then found myself in the arms of Edward. 

“I will come for you.” He whispered.

I felt extremely uncomfortable with his arms around me. The genuine feel of the seriousness in his voice bothered me because I knew how unrealistic it was.

He let me go and I looked at him with sad eyes.  

He knew what I was not really saying. It can’t happen.  

I grabbed my things as more of the younger children gathered around Edward.  

I gave an encouraging smile and they all just looked at me solemnly.  

This is the only goodbye you’re going to get. I thought as they watched me walk away.  

Clouds of the April sky hung over us as we left the orphanage. I smiled quickly, inviting it to comfort me and wield my grief.  

A beast-like roar pulled me back to the black earth.

The roar calmed to a purr as my eyes rested on a gray semi-truck. It looked broken without any cargo attached. Broken, but still able.

The passenger door lay open, beckoning. Lucas sat in the driver’s seat expectantly.  

There was nothing threatening about the truck cab itself, but I couldn’t resist reconsidering climbing inside of it.  

After a moment I felt Lucas watching me. I fell out of my trance, embarrassed, then continued forward feeling my heart stop as I set my foot on the step.  

A breath managed to pass through my lungs and I pushed myself into the truck setting my suitcase between Lucas and myself and then the duffle bag by my feet.  

“Ready?” he asked.  

“Mmmhmm…” I replied, slightly more high-pitched than the normal level of my voice.  

We were then off, pulling onto the road that eventually led to the highway.  

I mostly kept my head turned toward the window, but my eyes strayed to my potential parent.  

When his eyes weren’t on me it was much easier to look at the rest of him. 

He had a goatee and slightly long, brown hair. He was wearing a white tank-top under an unbuttoned plaid shirt and jeans. All completely clean and tidy. Then what was this greasy aura that hung around him?

0 comments:

Post a Comment