In order to fully use this site correctly, I would suggest using the links under the sidebar titled "Navigation." Within those links you will find links to all of my posts and they are organized by a category, then within that, each story or idea, then the order I intend them to be read in. So go check those out so that there is less of a chance for confusion! Thanks!
~Katelyn

Friday, March 5, 2010

Adrian and Kira Background

Okay so this will be hard to understand. I have mentioned the name Adrian before in other parts of this story, but it is never explained.

I won't explain it, so that I don't spoil anything if I do go back to this story, but just know that I had it all planned, everything had a place and purpose.

Thanks for tolerating it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was a time of change. The old ways were disappearing and morphing into a new modern era of bright colors and where men hardly knew their place. Even as it swept the world there were still places here in Great Britain that were yet to take on these bold ways, but there was still a touch of it amongst the humble crowds and in ways soon to spread.

I do not know why he enjoys showing me off. I thought to myself.

It was the death-wish of my parents that I be betrothed to Neil() to secure my future. Now that my dear guardian had passed away I was forced to live with him, having no where else to go.

The people danced colorfully in front of me as I sat alone slightly above them all. Neil was dancing with some maiden. It was polite for him to dance with his female guests, but profusely impolite for his male guests to even think of dancing with me. So much so, I hardly knew how to dance.

It was not that i was strictly forbidden, it was just best for them not to. Neil had everything and what was his was untouchalbe. So I felt a bit like the royal stallion to be envied.

Bright smiles were turned to me in gretting as they twirled. Even with the masks, I knew their faces. I saw Phillip Grahm, the Duke of() with his wife Victoria, her tight smile more strictly lined this evening than I had seen it before. Then as the pairs moved the lively eyes of sweet Angelica, the daughter of the Count and Countess of(), met mine. She had become recently courtable, as I was not, and yet I was claimed.

Neil was kind enough. I had been around him for years and he had always been gentle, but I never felt as though I truly knew him. I was grateful, but I did not particularly like him, I did not dislike him either.

It was infact Neil that I saw next passing infront of me, his brilliant wavy-blonde hair swirling nearly all the way around his waist due to its length. His light green eyes appraised me with a look of satisfaction and pride about his face.

I smiled politely in return and he moved his gaze back to his partner, whom I did not bother to observe.

I looked around once more at the mass of people twirling and enjoying life as it was. The entire room was aglow with the pure festive air; every person as lite as the chandeliers hanging stories above their heads. As my eyes scanned them all another pair of eyes crossed my own. They illumed from the darkest being in the room: dressed in dark maroon and where others' shirts were white, his lay black. Then in contrast was a mask: white as bone outlining his nearly ebony eyes. His hair was somewhere between dark-brown and black making the ivory tone of his skin even more prominate at that distance.

He was the only other living thing besides myself that was not dancing.

In the corners of my vision the constant spinning objects that were ther dancers was beginning to make me feel dizzy.

I tore my gaze away from the stranger and after closing my eyes decided it was time to retire for the night.

I stood, my eyes remaining closed and turned myself to the direction behind the chair when I heard a voice like a melody.

"Dismissing yourself so soon my lady?"

Turning myself back around with difficulty, I opened my eyes again letting them fall on the one who had spoken. It was the dark stranger.

"Yes." I said with a sigh. "I have grown tired of sitting in this chair all evening time and again."

"Pardon me, my lady, but so you mean to say that in the time you have been here no one has danced with you?" he asked, obvious surprise in his voice.

I nodded slowly. "So that is why I shall be retiring now and for the last time."

I began to turn around again when the touch of his gloved hand on my arm stopped me.

"I plead for your forgiveness for this grave insult." he said with a slight bow of his head.

"There is no need, sir. This is the only time you have been here I'm sure." I told him unable to turn back around for he had captured me with his powerful eyes.

"Regardless," he nearly whispered. "Let me atone for the others' crimes."

He then took my hand and began leading me away from my pedistool, I was hardly able to resist, but managed to studder, "I am afraid I do not know much of how to."

Without breaking his stride toward the dance floor he turned back to me with a kind smile. "Do not worry, you can leave the matter with me."

We were now on the edge of the dance floor, gently but swiftly placing the hand he been holding, up more prominatly and my other, he placed caringly on his shoulder putting his own lightly on my waist. Something about his touch made me freeze and obedient as we moved in to the formation.

"Now follow me." he said sounding as though he was truly enjoying himself.

The dance began slow, the steps easy to follow, some of which I knew well enough and he told me which way to turn or step when necessary. Then it began to quicken forcing me to strictly intake his insructions. Once I got the hang of it though, we seemed to soar. It was an amazing feeling moving with the music and letting it inside you.

From then I was unable to remove my eyes from his face and he continued to look into mine with a grin lining his lips. He twirled me out, letting go of my waist. When I came back in his hand returned to its position. It was then that I realized what made me freeze under his touch. It seemed that with any contact that there were traces of with held power.

I now watched him more curiously trying to understand what it was about him that made him seem this way to me. Before I could analyze any further, he pulled us away from the formation and released me.

Others were now switching partners, unaffected by the break. I continued to feel as though I was swaying.

He bowed to me swiftly. "I thank you, my lady, for joining me. It was a pleasure."

"Thank you, sir for showing me how it is done." I was able to reply.

"But it is becoming late as you said earlier and I must return elsewhere." he then said turning to begin walking away.

"Wait." I said surprising myself.

He stopped, but did not turn around.

"You dismiss yourself without leaving even a name?" I asked in a nearly accusing voice.

He said nothing.

"If you cannot say your full name, your first at least, or any name for that matter."

His head slowly threw his overwhelming gaze on me.

"Adrian." Then he was gone through the many people and I could no longer see him.

"Adrian." I let the name fall off my lips lower than a whisper looking in the direction he left as though I could still see him, frozen in wonder.

A sudden murmer arose me like the buzz of the life of a hot summer's day. Others were saying their thanks to their partners for the song had ended after what had semed an eternity as it played, but was now only a memory. A memory that I was unable to let go of.

"Kira."

It was a voice as sharp and sudden as lightning, and at this particular moment it was particularly painful because it was not the one I had wanted to hear. I turned to face Neil, his vibrant eyes causing me to take a step back as always, putting on my best false smile.

“Have you been enjoying yourself dear one?”

Dear one. It was the only other thing he addressed me by other than my name. The pet name never appealed to me, but it caught me off guard this time; there was such a kindness in his eyes as though he truly meant what he said.

I assume that I had a strange look on my face because he then said,

“Are you feeling well?” he gently took hold of my shoulders and when I tried to look away he held my face by my chin so that I had to look at his eyes.

“I am just tired Neil.” I said calmly, putting as much truth into it as I could. He looked so worried.

I smiled almost genuinely this time to reassure him.

“I will just retire for the night.” I continued pulling away from him. He let me go and I walked past him.

“Alright, I will be in to check on you before the end of the hour.” He replied sweetly.

I turned around halfway and gave him a bow of my head without really looking at him and departed to the security of the darkness beyond the curtains.

As the curtain lightly fell back into place, the noise from the ballroom dimmed. I sighed, finally being able to breathe deeply, and rubbed my eyes with my hand.

What am I doing? I thought.

Everything just felt so strange.

I regained myself and continued forward wondering: How could things feel so odd in these familiar halls?

For a moment I remembered back to a time when I was small. I was in this same hallway after an audience. Holding my mother’s hand, my father walked beside her.

She had a smile on her face that refused to distort her soft features that were so alarmingly similar to mine, but I mostly had the eyes of my father who starred ahead with a glare as cold as ice that his eyes easily displayed.

I watched him in wonder and he must have known since he then turned to me and smiled, eyes warm, and then we separated, my mother taking me towards my room while he went in the opposite direction.

I now stood in the same place, the one hall parting into two. I dared not look at the one heading left, but swiftly turned and headed down the right. After a while longer I arrived in my room.

0 comments:

Post a Comment